During the summer of 2016, the New York City Department of Design and Construction (DDC), in partnership with the NYC Department of Youth and Community Development (NYC DYCD), will offer a summer internship program for forty talented NYC high school students to work full-time, in-house, at DDC.
The High School Summer Internship Program is designed for students interested in pursuing careers in architecture, engineering, building trades, public administration, business administration or information technology. The program is structured to enable students to gain exposure to the many careers in the built environment and to learn about what it takes to build New York City. It is a unique opportunity to prepare students for the growing demands of the job market.
Assignments may include AutoCAD (computer-aided design) drafting for students interested in architecture or engineering, Internet research, word processing, spreadsheet creation, and other clerical work. Students work for six weeks, five days a week, in a program that combines hands-on work and educational programming.
To download a PDF with more detailed information on the program, click here.
You are required to submit the following as part of your completed application:
- DDC High School Summer Internship application
- Letter of recommendation
- Current resume
- School transcript (SYEP Applicants Only)
- DYCD Ladders for Leaders and/or Summer Youth Employment Program Application
Submit your completed DDC High School Summer Internship Program application online by April 15, 2016. Please choose one of the following options to submit your application. If you encounter any difficulties, please call us at (718) 391-2888 for assistance.
- Right click and save our PDF application. Open the PDF using Adobe Reader. Fill in your information electronically and submit the application by clicking on the 'Submit Form' button on the upper right hand corner.
- Completed PDF applications and all supporting documents should be emailed toSTEAM@ddc.nyc.gov with the subject heading: “2016 HSSIP – FIRST NAME LAST NAME”
Based upon your grade average, please complete the appropriate DYCD application:
- If your grade average is 80 and above, please complete the NYC DYCD Ladders for Leaders application (due April 4, 2016).
- If your grade average is below 80, please complete the NYC DYCD Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) application (due April 4, 2016). This year our partnering community provider is HANAC Community located at 23-16 30th Avenue, Astoria, NY 11102. Please select them as a provider if you are interested in this internship opportunity.
After March 1st, all applicants must fill out both SYEP and Ladders for Leaders applications, regardless of grade average.
If selected, you will receive notification for an interview by Wednesday April 20th, 2016 via email. Interviews will take place during the week of April 25th, 2016 unless your application is selected via the SYEP Lottery system. If your application is selected via the SYEP lottery system, interviews will be on a rolling basis.
Incomplete packages will not be considered, both NYC Department of Design and Construction and Department of Youth and Community Development applications must be completed.
STEAM Hotline: 718.391.2888
STEAM email: STEAM@ddc.nyc.gov