Details:Screen Time SocialSunday, Feb. 28, 11a-3pMuseum of Jewish Heritage$15 + adults, kids freeThe sight of a kid glued to an iPad or buried in their phone is so common that it’s easy to forget that childhood and adolescence didn’t always involve a device. The fact is, keeping tabs on your child's media habits and keeping up with the latest in tech has become an essential part of modern parenting.
Screen Time Social, a family-friendly event on Sunday, Feb. 28 at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in Battery Park, will help parents figure out the best approach to screen time, and bring them up to speed on the brightest tech toys and games.
From 11am to 3pm, we’ll have maker and media literacy workshops for preschoolers through teens hosted by the Beam Center, BK Bots, Launch Math and Science Centers, The Lamp and 3D Roundhouse, plus smart toys to play with from Geek Forest. It’ll be a ton more fun than a winter weekend stuck inside, and offer hands-on time with STEM activities like Lego Mindstorms and Minecraft.
In between battling bots and learning how to 3D print a toy, Brooklyn Based Kids has curated expert talks that children are welcome to attend. Schedule highlights include:
Join in for a great day of talks and activities that will help your family make the most of the digital age.
- A short presentation and Q&A with Kristelle Lavallee from the Center on Media and Child Health on how screen time affects early childhood development
- Expert advice from Jessica Millstone, Director of Engagement for the educational technology company BrainPOP, on finding the best educational apps for your child
- A discussion with Tali Orad, founder of Screen, about how her new tool can help families strike a healthy balance with their electronic devices
- A panel on how teens are spending their time online, with speakers including Nancy Jo Sales, author of the forthcoming book, American Girls: Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers
Admission for adults starts at $15 in advance and children 18 and under are free. Purchase tickets here, and learn more about the schedule and the excellent prizes we're raffling away. (Then RSVP on Facebook for an extra raffle entry!)
- College Advisors
- More College Advisor Recommendations
- 2018 High School Reviews
- 2016 High School Reviews
- 2015 High School Reviews
- 2013 Middle School Reviews
- Recommended Tutors
- Recommended Therapists for Teens
- Orthodontist Recommendations
- Best Books for Raising Teens
- Party Vendors (Sweet 16, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Birthday, etc)